Share with the Class

Picture this:
Your students have just finished answering the bell ringer. You ask for a couple volunteers to share their responses. However, the room is completely silent, not a single hand goes up.

You could start cold calling, but there's a better preventative measure.

Don't sit at your desk during the bellringer or activity! As your students are working, circle around the room looking for sharable answers. When did just this in an 11th grade English classroom? I asked the student if I could peek at their answer. After reading it, I found that it would be great for the whole class to hear the answer. I asked the student, "great job, I'm going to call on you to share". When it came time to share, I immediately had someone to share their answer. After that, it started a domino effect; students were more comfortable sharing after that! Implementing this tool is easy, and the result? Students who are chosen to share feel the praise of doing a good job and other students feel more comfortable sharing their answers.

Consider adding this tool to your teaching toolbox!😄